Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thirty-Eight Weeks

Alternatively titled...The Calm Before the Storm...

I think that I can officially say that we're ready for Baby Storms to make his appearance, from a preparation standpoint, at least.  This past week, the baby's bedding FINALLY came in (I only ordered it in July!) and the nursery is now complete.  I also bought our stroller, car seat, and all the items on our baby list that were left.  There weren't many!  I've got our hospital bags packed, clothes washed, bottles cleaned, birthing plan made and copied...and now we wait.  I am literally a ticking time bomb.  Mentally, both Jeff and I could use a few more days to get ready before officially becoming parents.  There are lots of little (or big) things to be done at work still, for both of us, although I could leave my desk tomorrow and know my files would be well taken care of.  Jeff seems to be working at an absolutely ferocious pace, and I think he needs a few more days to get things totally squared away at the office.  Every morning, we wake up and he rolls over, looks at me, and says, "No baby today, okay?"  Thanksgiving really seems to be our official "D-Day" and I think we'll be ready to get this show on the road after that point. 

Baby Storms seems to agree with that plan, although I've had some early signs of labor.  I feel a bit like I'm in my early weeks of pregnancy again.  The thought of most food turns my stomach, and I can't seem to get enough sleep.  I had my thirty-seven week appointment with Duckie last Tuesday, and things were progressing, but he thought that I would probably go full-term.  That being said, babies have a way of coming into the world on their own terms.  Duckie said he'd seen women in clinic that hadn't progressed in labor at all in the morning and deliver in the evening.  We head back for another check-up on Tuesday.  Baby Storms has slowed down with the incessant kicking and he seems content to have his feet lodged in my rib cage.  Right now, he's rolling around and it feels like he's trying to swim downward.

Despite my never ending quest for sleep, the nesting instinct has kicked in, full throttle.  I have to-do lists - EVERYWHERE.  I was a little obsessive with lists beforehand, but it's gotten totally out of control.  I actually think I'm creating more work for myself, just so I keep myself from sitting around and going crazy.  I seem to be on some sort of quest for everything to be "perfect" in my life, so when Jack finally shows up, I will have nothing to do but focus on him.  If I was being totally objective about it, we're already there, but that doesn't stop the cleaning, cooking, organizing, and list-making!  In any case, here we are at thirty-eight weeks:


He's growing quickly, according to Duckie, and my belly grew about two centimeters last week, which is a great thing, considering that I've been measuring on the smaller side.  My back is still pretty sore, but if I get up and walk around every hour or so, it seems to keep the worst of the pain at bay. 

We also had to make our birthing plan as part of our Labor & Delivery class last week.  Jeff and I had spent a lot of time talking about what we wanted out of the experience before we actually had the class, so we were pretty prepared.  There were a lot of questions, however, that we hadn't considered - such as whether we wanted the baby vaccinated in the hospital - so we've spent some time talking over all those issues.  In short, we really want the labor process to be about the three of us - or, in reality, Jeff and I working together to bring our son into the world.  I guess we only get to go through this once, huh?  After Baby Jack is born, we want to have a big ol' party in the hospital!  We'll flip over the sign from "Do Not Disturb" to "Visitors Welcome!"      
Jeff and I are trying to get in lots of last-minute dates, when our schedules will allow it.  On Friday night, we were going to head out for dinner, but ended up getting take-out and watching an old movie on television.  Last night, we went out with our dear friends, Brendan and Lindsey, to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch some football.  Today, my brother-in-law, Alec, is coming over to help Jeff with some of the heavier chores around the house.  I am so thankful for him - he is really such a great kid and is so willing to help.  As long as I have food in the fridge and coffee in the pot, he'll do anything!  Actually, I know I've said this a dozen times, but I can never repay all the kindness we've been shown over the past nine months.  My parents have been incredibly generous and giving as we've moved and gotten settled in our new house.  I'm so grateful for all the women that threw amazing showers and all my friends and family - both near and far - that sent beautiful gifts and helped us get ready for Baby Storms' impending arrival.  This is the month for giving thanks, and I am so thankful for each and every one of them.  I don't know what we ever did to get so lucky.   

This afternoon, I have Thanksgiving with my girlfriends.  I think this is the ninth year we've gotten together and it's one of my most favorite traditions.  It has changed so much in the past few years as we've gotten better in the kitchen and with the ever growing number of babies that now join us for dinner!  I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone and playing with their children.  
In any case, I think everything will remain status quo until next week.  But, like I said...babies kind of have their own schedule, so I'll keep vigil until he gets here...

No comments:

Post a Comment